NAU Anime Club Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NAU Anime Club Forums

The discussion board of champions! The anime club forums!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Please check the newly updated forum rules.

Trying to get back into anime...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mallefunction
Anime?
Anime?
mallefunction

Trying to get back into anime... Empty
PostSubject: Trying to get back into anime...   Trying to get back into anime... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am

Name: Heather
Year: Junior
Major: English Ed

Talents/Hobbies: Cosplay, sucking immensely at video games despite having played them from age 4, writing, RPing (tabletop and text), photography, criticizing almost all media, etc

So I used to be a big anime freak from about age 12-17. However around the time I came to NAU, I found myself growing more and more distant from the genre (mostly because it seemed like EVERY series was suddenly all high-school with maybe a bit of sci-fi intercut ala Haruhi Suzumiya which I disliked immensely. Also because the ongoing series I did like just jumped the shark).

I am trying to get back into anime because the anime I liked previously I still LOVE and I want to give the new stuff another shot. I'll list some of the animes I love to give you guys an idea of the kinds of stuff I'm interested in.

-DBZ
-Yu-Gi-Oh
-Naruto (pre-Sasuke taking over the series for 80+ chapters)
-Full Metal Alchemist
-Fruits Basket
-Ouran Host Club
-Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
-Hellsing: Ultimate
-Franken Fran
-Death Note
-Soul Eater (pre-Maka and Soul getting their final witch's soul)
-Avatar the Last Airbender (Yes, I know this is not Japanese, but it is drawn in anime's style so I count it based on the animation not the country of origin)

As a note: I do like yaoi and shonenai, but I am not a fan of the actual yaoi series because they tend to be about little boys getting raped by big bad scary guys...and uke/seme stuff is just boring. I like dynamic relationships so as much as I like guy/guy, I find most of the series representing it really lack luster and just creepy.

I hope that in the coming fall that maybe I can meet some new people and find anime that I can enjoy Smile
Back to top Go down
lupin the 3rd
lupin the 3rd

Trying to get back into anime... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trying to get back into anime...   Trying to get back into anime... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi Heather I'm Daniel (former President of Anime Club), it's nice to see you posting on here. Have you been to our club before? If not we are all pretty laid back people that watch new and old shows.

As for the yaoi shounen AI genre, I am not a big fan of it, but one of my favorite from that genre is an ova called Winter Cicada, it's a very depressing romantic OVA.

as for recommendations, try some of these examples:

Kimi Ni Todoke
Honey and clover
Paradise Kiss
Usagi Drop
Kids on the Slope
Princess Jellyfish
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

and if you want some of my personal recommendations (I don't like the shounen jump stuff), but here is a list of my personal taste:

Fantastic Children
Gankutsuo: The Count of Monti Cristo
Towards the Terra
Steins; Gate
Kinos Journey
Mushishi
Gungrave
Monster
Flag
Human Crossings
Welcome to the NHK
Bartender
Rose of Versailes
Ristaranto Paradiso
Shigurui Death Frenzy
Escaflowne
Serial Experiments Lain

As you can tell I tend to like more mature shows, all the ones I listed don't deal with high school themes, instead alot of them are Sci Fi fantasy. I assume you don't like ecchi titles as well? Anyway you should still come to club next year, and I hope we get to meet you. Feel free to ask any questiosn you have.

Back to top Go down

Trying to get back into anime...
Page 1 of 1